Monday, September 29, 2008

It's the best game you can name

I am one big ear-to-ear grin right now.

It's almost midnight and I'm too keyed up to go to bed. I played my first hockey game tonight. I LOVED it!!! I wasn't that good, but I wasn't that bad, either. I have a lot to learn, skills-wise and strategy-wise, but oh man, it was fun. The women on my team are a lot of fun, which should make for a good season. Our goalie made some highlight-reel saves, which bodes well. But the most important thing is that I had a lot of fun, EVEN THOUGH I WASN'T GOOD. There's a life lesson I needed - you don't have to be good at something to do it in public and enjoy it. I have given myself permission to be terrible (and I don't think I was), it's my first time playing, for heaven's sake, so it's okay to just go out there, do the best I can, and have fun along the way. And I DEFINITELY had fun.

More updates on the family later. I just had to write about how excited I am, how much fun I had and how much I love the good old hockey game :)

2 comments:

Daphne said...

You're such a good Canadian! :)

Kate said...

ICE hockey??? Oh dear god, I thought no one was good at that - too much skidding around and un-coordination for this kid. Well done, you.