Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Help! I need somebody!

I almost went to bed without blogging, but then remembered I'm doing NaBloPoMo. This was a terrible night. I went to the visitation for C after school, which is not a great way to start an evening. When I tried to call my dad to wish him happy birthday he wasn't home, so I chatted with my mom. By the time we got off the phone it was past Rylee's bedtime, so she was wired and over-tired and went hysterical. Called my dad, the girls sang happy birthday, put the big girls to bed. I went into my room and heard Hailey talking to Rylee. I came out fully prepared to get angry with her for getting out of bed and going into Rylee's room, when I saw Rylee standing in the hall beside Hailey. She had climbed out of her crib.

At this point I did what any self-respecting, independent woman would do. I called my mommy.

At Mom's suggestion, I took Rylee downstairs and put on a Baby Einstein, while I fought with the crib to figure out how to lower the mattress. After a series of events that I'm sure I'll find funny someday, I finally got it lowered. I cuddled Rylee, kissed her and put her to bed amid loud protests.

Can you see where this is going? A minute or two later she was staring at me from the middle of the hallway. And by this point I had moved the footstool that was just outside her crib, so she managed to get over the side rail and then lower herself all the way to the floor.

Naturally, I called my mommy again.

I put Baby Einstein back on and had something to eat (it was after 10 pm and I hadn't had dinner yet) Then I brought Rylee upstairs and rocked her to sleep. When I put her down in the crib she opened her eyes and looked at me, but all she said was, "Want blanket." So I got her one and walked quietly out. It's been about half an hour now and there's no sign of her, so I think she's down for the night.

I have four class sets of marking to do, about three loads of laundry to fold and put away, the dishwasher needs to be emptied, the counter is full of dishes and a load of clothes needs to go from the washer to the dryer. I will get the clothes into the dryer but the rest will have to wait.

In addition to the regular hockey (me), swimming lessons (Rylee) and skating lessons (Sam, Hailey) this week, we had/have two after school meetings (me), hockey pictures (Sam, Hailey), an oil change/service appointment (van) and visitation for C (me).

This was maybe not the best week for Ryan to go away. At least there's lots of chocolate around.

3 comments:

Daphne said...

That sounds like a pretty darn bad day. Did you just want to throw a fit? I would have. Wanted to, at least.

Anonymous said...

I would have just sat down on the floor beside Rylee and cried :-( What a bad day! If you need any help for the rest of the week, let me know, OK? There's two of us at home full time, so I'm sure we can spare one for awhile!!

Anonymous said...

By the way, that offer to help was from Marn :-) (keep forgetting I'm an anonymous poster!)