Monday, November 3, 2008

When the dog bites, when the bee stings

Last Friday, when most kids her age were excited about trick or treating, counting down until they could start the festivities, little T was at the hospital waiting to hear if her sister was going to be okay. At about 5:45, when other kids were getting their costumes on and planning their routes, T got the news that her only sister had died.

I wish this was the germ of an idea for a novel for NaNoWriMo, but it's the true story of one of my former students. I taught T for four years at my last school. Her older sister had a stroke five years ago, the year before I arrived at the school. If I understand correctly, she had another one on Friday and didn't survive this one.

I can't even imagine this family's pain right now. The parents split up some time ago, and they had just the two daughters, T and C. Now C is gone. And every year, on Hallowe'en, the ghosts will be all too real for T.

C was only 12. T is in grade five. Both far too young.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for everyone's pain during this time. I was at the school and saw the ambulances and such on Friday and talked to some of the teachers about it. Everyone's taken it so hard! (I'm assuming we're thinking of the same person and that there weren't, God forbid, two similar instances on Friday!) My heart and thoughts to the family.

Marn