Sunday, November 19, 2006

Quick update

This is a busy weekend for us. We took the kids to the Santa Claus parade yesterday morning. I think Sammie was more excited about seeing her friends from school in the parade than about the big guy in the red suit. And since her friends were on one of the first floats, and it was cold and drizzly, I wasn't sure we'd make it through the parade, but we did. Sammie and Hailey handled the weather much better than their parents - we had bundled the girls up in their winter best, but not ourselves. I ended up taking Rylee and standing inside the store behind us for five minutes or so near the end of the parade. Rylee slept through most of the parade, wrapped snugly inside my jacket with me. Anyway, I wasn't all that impressed with the parade - I thought the Oktoberfest parade was much better - but the kids seemed happy, so that's what's important.

In the afternoon Sammie had a birthday party for a girl in her class, so she missed soccer. I was home with Hailey and Rylee. Hailey napped, Rylee didn't - she was very cranky yesterday, and awake for a lot of the day (which may explain why she's spending so much of today sleeping so far) Last night some friends I used to work with came over to meet the baby and hang out, which was great - partly because it was adult interaction and partly because I hadn't seen these particular friends in quite a while.

Today we had another party, for our friend's daughter this time. The kids got to ride ponies, which they all thought was absolutely awesome. Hailey is currently napping with her toy from her goodie bag - a unicorn, which she absolutely loves. Rylee slept through most of the morning, and most of the party, and a lot of this afternoon. I hope this doesn't mean she'll be up all night.

Last night Rylee just would not settle. I couldn't get her to settle down for a real feeding, and couldn't get her to burp, so we were not doing too well. NOTHING was making her happy, so by about midnight I was about to give in and just let her sleep in our bed. I put her down beside me and was about to feed her when she fell asleep. I moved her back into her room and got back into bed and said, "I want to watch SNL and I want to read my book but I think I'll just go to sleep. It's not like I'm going to sleep for eight uninterrupted hours." So to sleep I went. When I heard Rylee cry, I opened my eyes and thought, "Wait a minute, it's light outside. What time is it?" It was 7:10. She slept for SEVEN straight hours!!!! I can't figure out why I don't feel more rested, but anyway, it was a good night (once she finally crashed) and I'm hoping she does it again.

Hmm, it seems like I had more I wanted to say, but now Hailey is up and I'm dealing with two overtired, cranky preschoolers, so I'm suddenly not so into posting. I'm sure once I give up the computer I'll remember all the clever things I wanted to say. Oh well.

No comments: